TIDN (The Inferno Dot Net)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

RIP Bobby Rhine

Go down 
+23
PhilaDallas
Rex Kramer
FCDSouth
Speedbump Joey
germ75
mogar
Jagle
Arsenal
ihatehouston
Parrish
Fudd
Hammer
scoreNOmore
ReddTrain
Vash
gwar0127
Hhaire
Balonpie
Hammster
GraceTX
scottishbeagle
Squidly
Dana
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
Keylock25

RIP Bobby Rhine - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP Bobby Rhine   RIP Bobby Rhine - Page 5 Empty9/12/2011, 12:04 pm

Retiring his number seems like the best thing to do. However, I would like to see his legend and number live on. Maybe one player every year could wear the #19 jersey as voted on by the fans to carry on his legacy. Bobby gave all he could for his team, the fans, and the city he loved and wearing the #19 would keep his number sacred.
Back to top Go down
Arsenal

Arsenal

PostSubject: Re: RIP Bobby Rhine   RIP Bobby Rhine - Page 5 Empty9/12/2011, 12:40 pm

gwar0127 wrote:
scottishbeagle wrote:
Arsenal wrote:
Not to beat a dead horse, but I truly believe his jersey needs to be retired or at least be the start of the Ring of Honor around The Hut.

FCD needs to step up to the plate, and I am sure they will. having a Bobby Rhine stand wouldn't be too much IMO - I am sure they will come up with something tha'ts just right

PHP already has the Dallas Soccer Walk of Fame out in the soccer field complex. They were looking for nominees earlier this year, so it's probably too late to nominate Bobby, but I'm sure there will be an overwhelming push to include him next year.

But how often do people go down the Walk of Fame or will notice it?

As for not retiring his number, I also mentioned a Ring of Honor like the Cowboys have. Plus I'm fairly sure Bobby did more for the club off the field as well as on the field than is worthy of having his number retired. I would also argue that MLS is not like most leagues around the world which means retiring a number is also a very American thing.
Back to top Go down
Jagle

Jagle

PostSubject: Re: RIP Bobby Rhine   RIP Bobby Rhine - Page 5 Empty9/13/2011, 8:58 pm

NEXT MLS HOME GAME

The September 17th game between FC Dallas and the New York Red Bulls at Pizza Hut Park will have meaning far beyond any implications in the MLS standings. The game will serve as a tribute to the late Bobby Rhine, beloved former FC Dallas player and the team's broadcaster. Rhine passed away suddenly on Monday, September 5th at the age of 35.

Rhine's contributions to the club and to the sport of soccer will be memorialized through the following:

*Wristbands bearing Rhine's initials and jersey number will be available on the concourse in exchange for any donation to the FC Dallas Foundation. All proceeds will directly benefit the Rhine family, and total contributions will be matched in their entirety by the Hunt family and FC Dallas.
*FC Dallas players and technical staff will wear black armbands bearing Rhine's initials and jersey number for the duration of the 2011 season.
*Auction benefiting the Rhine family held at the game that evening.
*A moment of silence will be held in Rhine's memory prior to kickoff.
*A video tribute will be shown at the beginning of halftime during the September 17th match. Fans are asked to remain in their seats for this special remembrance.
Please join us for this match as we honor our cherished FC Dallas family member.
Back to top Go down
Jagle

Jagle

PostSubject: Re: RIP Bobby Rhine   RIP Bobby Rhine - Page 5 Empty9/13/2011, 9:06 pm

I think I will wear a black, long-sleeved Cold Gear top under my Jersey. I will tie Big Austria to its pole with black line. And I will bring a tape measure to the Tauro match and measure that decadent bass drum for new heads. I feel that if EM brings their base on the 17th, and if Old Blackie is also brought out, we may be able to create the correct drum effect and still be loud.

I wonder if a large black scarf was found for Uncle Lamar?
Back to top Go down
Hammer

Hammer

PostSubject: Re: RIP Bobby Rhine   RIP Bobby Rhine - Page 5 Empty9/13/2011, 10:20 pm

I would like to see Bobby honored by naming either the west or east stand "The Bobby Rhine Stand." Also, replace that spinning globe at the South Entrance with a statue of Bobby. Or create an awesome tailgate area where we are now and call it the Bobby Rhine Supporters Tailgate.

Either way, I am sure that FCD will be working on ideas. On reflection, I think it is great that Zach has changed his number for the season, but I don't feel that retiring the number would be sufficient an honor for a great guy like Bobby.
Back to top Go down
http://www.the-inferno.net
GraceTX

GraceTX

PostSubject: Re: RIP Bobby Rhine   RIP Bobby Rhine - Page 5 Empty9/13/2011, 10:41 pm

If you haven't donated to the FC Dallas Foundation, please remember that any donations made in Bobby's honor will go directly to the Bevan and the boys. Also, the Hunts are matching anything collected through September 18th.
Back to top Go down
scottishbeagle

scottishbeagle

PostSubject: Re: RIP Bobby Rhine   RIP Bobby Rhine - Page 5 Empty9/14/2011, 8:54 am

just throwing this idea out there, came to me whilst I was washing dishes! maybe we could consider raising the inferno membership by $1-to $5 per year. that extra could go in to a fund, and each December we sent Beven a check for X amount (lets just throw out some numbers - raise it $3 p.a, x 115 members = $345) a few weeks before Christmas, to help make sure they have a wonderful holiday season. Or, donate to college to their college fund?
Maybe we could commit to doing that until the kids are 18? It would be nice to do something long term, to make sure that Beven and the kids know we are in this for the long haul, and they will always be part of the FCD family.

I dont know her financial situation of course, but even if its not "needed" in the future, its about the gesture.

might be a terrible idea, but just throwing it out there
Back to top Go down
gwar0127

gwar0127

PostSubject: Re: RIP Bobby Rhine   RIP Bobby Rhine - Page 5 Empty9/14/2011, 9:10 am

scottishbeagle wrote:
maybe we could consider raising the inferno membership by $1-to $5 per year. that extra could go in to a fund, and each December we sent Beven a check for X amount (lets just throw out some numbers - raise it $3 p.a, x 115 members = $345) a few weeks before Christmas, to help make sure they have a wonderful holiday season. Or, donate to college to their college fund?
Maybe we could commit to doing that until the kids are 18? It would be nice to do something long term, to make sure that Beven and the kids know we are in this for the long haul, and they will always be part of the FCD family.

I dont know her financial situation of course, but even if its not "needed" in the future, its about the gesture.

I like this idea. We need to bring this up at the next AGM. $1 x 110 members = $110 per year. That'll add up by the time the boys turn 18.
Back to top Go down
Squidly

Squidly

PostSubject: Re: RIP Bobby Rhine   RIP Bobby Rhine - Page 5 Empty9/14/2011, 11:49 am

I would be willing to up my annual dues to $25 for such a magnificent cause. $10 x110... Smile
Back to top Go down
Jagle

Jagle

PostSubject: Re: RIP Bobby Rhine   RIP Bobby Rhine - Page 5 Empty9/14/2011, 2:23 pm

Back when I worked for United Airlines, I had a roomate who had a heart attack. He was only thirty. That he was only thirty freaked out every medical professional who was working his case... until a sample of his heart's affected arteries was sent to Stanford. Their diagnosis was something so unspellable that I can only take a shot at it: tayakaseus. It strikes something like 1 out of every 1 million Asian women. It can take any artery in your heart and swell it shut from the outside in. Lastly, it can be treated with steroids. The condition can strike any artery. It picked four arteries in my room dog's heart. He was feeling the symptoms for weeks, but did not seek care. Ultimately the story was so weird that it made the medical journals.

I wonder if tayakaseus was what got Bobby.

Note: The bird gives the finger to death.
Back to top Go down
Squidly

Squidly

PostSubject: Re: RIP Bobby Rhine   RIP Bobby Rhine - Page 5 Empty9/15/2011, 9:39 am

Jagle wrote:
Back when I worked for United Airlines, I had a roomate who had a heart attack. He was only thirty. That he was only thirty freaked out every medical professional who was working his case... until a sample of his heart's affected arteries was sent to Stanford. Their diagnosis was something so unspellable that I can only take a shot at it: tayakaseus. It strikes something like 1 out of every 1 million Asian women. It can take any artery in your heart and swell it shut from the outside in. Lastly, it can be treated with steroids. The condition can strike any artery. It picked four arteries in my room dog's heart. He was feeling the symptoms for weeks, but did not seek care. Ultimately the story was so weird that it made the medical journals.

A former friend of mines' wife was diagnosed with this. She was 23, and White. It caused her to have a stroke. She fought with him for 4 hours to go to the hospital because she didnt want to go looking like she'd just had a stroke, she just had to do her makeup.
Back to top Go down
Jagle

Jagle

PostSubject: Re: RIP Bobby Rhine   RIP Bobby Rhine - Page 5 Empty9/16/2011, 7:39 pm

Squidly wrote:
Jagle wrote:

A former friend of mines' wife was diagnosed with this. She was 23, and White. It caused her to have a stroke. She fought with him for 4 hours to go to the hospital because she didnt want to go looking like she'd just had a stroke, she just had to do her makeup.

Yeah. I saw my roommate in the parking lot, at first break from work. He was sitting in his car, and he said "Well Mike, I'm not feeling good. I'm going home. He was pasty-faced and sweating. I should have recognized it was his heart, reached in, taken his keys and run to the security gate for an ambulance. But I didn't. Next thing I know, it's lunch and the boss comes looking for me. He asks: "What's wrong with your roommate?" I said, I don't know. Have you heard something? Boss says "Yeah. He's in the hospital for emergency bypass surgery." But dog took too long getting there. Too much damage had been done to his heart. He lived just three more days. It's the biggest cross his supervisor and I have to bear, our having both seen him and let him go.

Back to top Go down
Hammer

Hammer

PostSubject: Re: RIP Bobby Rhine   RIP Bobby Rhine - Page 5 Empty9/17/2011, 2:51 pm

The DFE reached out to both myself and Dana last week to offer their deepest sympathy. I think that showed some real class. We definately got off on the wrong foot, but now we both see that the most important thing is to support our team.

Those of you who knew Bobby personally, know that he was a class act who didn't hold a grudge. He was always great to fans from every walk of life and always had a smile and a kind word for the FC Dallas faithful. Let's truly honor Bobby today, by being welcoming to all supporters no matter what color they wear, where they stand, or how they cheer.

I hope the Inferno, DFE, EM and all others see this as a day to celebrate Bobbys life and the good will he brought to all of us by marching as one and cheering as one! Bobby would have wanted to be the bond that UNITES us ALL under one banner!
Back to top Go down
grovermac

PostSubject: Re: RIP Bobby Rhine   RIP Bobby Rhine - Page 5 Empty9/21/2011, 8:07 pm

Here's a thought - haven't read the whole thread, so if it's been mentioned and accepted/disregarded excuse me....

How about we donate to them some of the money that the FO won't give us that comes from our section's season ticket sales?
Back to top Go down
Hammer

Hammer

PostSubject: Re: RIP Bobby Rhine   RIP Bobby Rhine - Page 5 Empty9/21/2011, 10:14 pm

Back to top Go down
Hammer

Hammer

PostSubject: Re: RIP Bobby Rhine   RIP Bobby Rhine - Page 5 Empty9/21/2011, 10:16 pm

grovermac wrote:
Here's a thought - haven't read the whole thread, so if it's been mentioned and accepted/disregarded excuse me....

How about we donate to them some of the money that the FO won't give us that comes from our section's season ticket sales?

The Inferno has donated $200 to the fund already, but that is a nice thought. BTW... the FO will give us the money and that is how we are going to order thenew scarves this year.
Back to top Go down
jenfunkyfunk

jenfunkyfunk

PostSubject: Re: RIP Bobby Rhine   RIP Bobby Rhine - Page 5 Empty9/21/2011, 10:31 pm

Hammer wrote:

I watched this video again and cried just as much as the last time. pale
Back to top Go down
GraceTX

GraceTX

PostSubject: Re: RIP Bobby Rhine   RIP Bobby Rhine - Page 5 Empty3/2/2012, 11:07 am

Enough time has gone by that I can sorta look at this without crying, but the Inferno received a Christmas card from Bevan. In the card, she attached a note that reads:

Quote :
Dear Beards and all Inferno Members,

There are no words to adequately express my thanks and gratitude for the support you've shown our family over the last several months. Your endless acts of kindness, the banners, posters, flowers & notes, along with your generous FCD Foundation are so appreciated.

More than anything I appreciate the tangible memories and history you've provided of Bobby's career in Dallas. It will be so priceless to have these moments as the boys grow up and want to remember Bobby & learn more about him.

Your kindness during Bobby's career and since his passing will not be forgotten. Thank you so much.

Love
Bevan
Forever #19

Okay, I lied. I cried all over again.

Thank you Gina, Amy, and anyone else who worked on or provided photos, ticket stubs, and programs for Bobby's retirement scrapbook. I know that this is what Bevan means about the tangible things the boys can look at.
Back to top Go down
scoreNOmore

scoreNOmore

PostSubject: Re: RIP Bobby Rhine   RIP Bobby Rhine - Page 5 Empty3/6/2012, 9:13 pm

I can't believe he has been gone 6 months already. :-(

I love that she included the family picture on the Christmas card...I cry every time I think about it. I can't believe she took the time to hand write such amazing notes with each Christmas card, her strength amazes me. I love you
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RIP Bobby Rhine   RIP Bobby Rhine - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

RIP Bobby Rhine
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TIDN (The Inferno Dot Net) :: FC Dallas-
Jump to: