TIDN (The Inferno Dot Net)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

RIP Bobby Rhine

Go down 
+23
PhilaDallas
Rex Kramer
FCDSouth
Speedbump Joey
germ75
mogar
Jagle
Arsenal
ihatehouston
Parrish
Fudd
Hammer
scoreNOmore
ReddTrain
Vash
gwar0127
Hhaire
Balonpie
Hammster
GraceTX
scottishbeagle
Squidly
Dana
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
germ75

RIP Bobby Rhine - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP Bobby Rhine   RIP Bobby Rhine - Page 3 Empty9/7/2011, 9:57 pm

I am undecided on the viewing, but I def want to go to the funeral..
Back to top Go down
scoreNOmore

scoreNOmore

PostSubject: Re: RIP Bobby Rhine   RIP Bobby Rhine - Page 3 Empty9/7/2011, 10:15 pm

I think I will go to both. Greg and the boys will join me Friday. Already stocked up on kleenex... Sad
Back to top Go down
Speedbump Joey

Speedbump Joey

PostSubject: Re: RIP Bobby Rhine   RIP Bobby Rhine - Page 3 Empty9/7/2011, 10:58 pm

For those of you that do not know the location of Sparkman Hillcrest, it is right across the street (Northside) of Northwest Highway.
Back to top Go down
Hammer

Hammer

PostSubject: Re: RIP Bobby Rhine   RIP Bobby Rhine - Page 3 Empty9/8/2011, 7:33 am

I will be at the funeral Friday to show my respect for such a great guy.
Back to top Go down
http://www.the-inferno.net
Squidly

Squidly

PostSubject: Re: RIP Bobby Rhine   RIP Bobby Rhine - Page 3 Empty9/8/2011, 10:35 am

Hammer wrote:
I will be at the funeral Friday to show my respect for such a great guy.

As will I.

Would anyone be available afterward for say a celebratory lunch? I think it would be fitting to enjoy each others company and celebrate the life of Mr. Rhine. I would love to hear stories and fond memories of him.

Would you think it inappropriate to wear an FCD jersey over my dress shirt and tie?
Back to top Go down
gwar0127

gwar0127

PostSubject: Re: RIP Bobby Rhine   RIP Bobby Rhine - Page 3 Empty9/8/2011, 10:37 am

Squidly wrote:
Would you think it inappropriate to wear an FCD jersey over my dress shirt and tie?

I would think it inappropriate.
Back to top Go down
Squidly

Squidly

PostSubject: Re: RIP Bobby Rhine   RIP Bobby Rhine - Page 3 Empty9/8/2011, 10:39 am

Thanks Gwar. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
germ75

germ75

PostSubject: Re: RIP Bobby Rhine   RIP Bobby Rhine - Page 3 Empty9/8/2011, 11:19 am

I can't bring myself to going to the viewing, but I'll be at the service and funeral.

Would a scarf under or over the coat jacket be ok, or to much?
Back to top Go down
scoreNOmore

scoreNOmore

PostSubject: Re: RIP Bobby Rhine   RIP Bobby Rhine - Page 3 Empty9/8/2011, 4:41 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Hammer

Hammer

PostSubject: Re: RIP Bobby Rhine   RIP Bobby Rhine - Page 3 Empty9/8/2011, 5:42 pm

Back to top Go down
http://www.the-inferno.net
GraceTX

GraceTX

PostSubject: Re: RIP Bobby Rhine   RIP Bobby Rhine - Page 3 Empty9/8/2011, 6:03 pm

I'm not sure I'm ever going to be able to watch these videos and not get teary eyed. So sad. Life really is so unfair sometimes. I really don't understand it.
Back to top Go down
gwar0127

gwar0127

PostSubject: Re: RIP Bobby Rhine   RIP Bobby Rhine - Page 3 Empty9/8/2011, 6:27 pm

I can't make it to the funeral tomorrow because of other plans, but I'll be going to the visitation this evening.
Back to top Go down
FCDSouth

PostSubject: Re: RIP Bobby Rhine   RIP Bobby Rhine - Page 3 Empty9/8/2011, 7:39 pm

As much as I really want to be there, I cannot attend the funeral. However, I want to share 2 stories about Bobby.

In 1999, the Inferno FC had 3 teams: Inferno, Inferno II and Inferno 30. We all practiced together at Fretz Park. A few of the "leaders" of the teams commented to each other that many of the guys needed some basic skills training. We thought it would be cool to get one of the Burn players to come out and help us with that.

So I contacted the FO and discussed the idea with ---someone--- (I don't remember who it was now - that was several brain cells ago). That person took my name and phone number, and said they would ask some of the players if anyone was interested.

The very next day, I received a call from Bobby Rhine, who said he would very much like to come out to our practices and help out. He said he wanted to give something back to the team's supporters groups.

I don't remember how many times he was able to attend, but it was at least 8-10. Each practice, I took up a collection of $5 per player; I wanted to be sure he was compensated for his time and experience. The first few times, he was reluctant to take the money. He said he was happy to donate his time. I eventually forced the cash into his hand.

Then, in 2005, FC Dallas hosted the MLS Cup and the Inferno held a charity auction. Since I had Bobby's cell phone number, I contacted him to see if he had anything he could donate. He said he had a pair of game-worn soccer shoes (boots). We discussed where and when we could meet so I could get the shoes from him. There seemed to be no good options.

Then he asked me where I worked - what part of town, etc. I told him and he said he would bring them by my office the next day. Sure enough, he showed up exactly at the time he said he would. He even walked around the office with me because there were some other soccer fans there who wanted to meet him. He even signed some impromptu autographs. Always with a smile; always happy to meet people.

The Ambassador of Soccer.
Back to top Go down
scottishbeagle

scottishbeagle

PostSubject: Re: RIP Bobby Rhine   RIP Bobby Rhine - Page 3 Empty9/8/2011, 8:11 pm

FCDSouth wrote:
As much as I really want to be there, I cannot attend the funeral. However, I want to share 2 stories about Bobby.

In 1999, the Inferno FC had 3 teams: Inferno, Inferno II and Inferno 30. We all practiced together at Fretz Park. A few of the "leaders" of the teams commented to each other that many of the guys needed some basic skills training. We thought it would be cool to get one of the Burn players to come out and help us with that.

So I contacted the FO and discussed the idea with ---someone--- (I don't remember who it was now - that was several brain cells ago). That person took my name and phone number, and said they would ask some of the players if anyone was interested.

The very next day, I received a call from Bobby Rhine, who said he would very much like to come out to our practices and help out. He said he wanted to give something back to the team's supporters groups.

I don't remember how many times he was able to attend, but it was at least 8-10. Each practice, I took up a collection of $5 per player; I wanted to be sure he was compensated for his time and experience. The first few times, he was reluctant to take the money. He said he was happy to donate his time. I eventually forced the cash into his hand.

Then, in 2005, FC Dallas hosted the MLS Cup and the Inferno held a charity auction. Since I had Bobby's cell phone number, I contacted him to see if he had anything he could donate. He said he had a pair of game-worn soccer shoes (boots). We discussed where and when we could meet so I could get the shoes from him. There seemed to be no good options.

Then he asked me where I worked - what part of town, etc. I told him and he said he would bring them by my office the next day. Sure enough, he showed up exactly at the time he said he would. He even walked around the office with me because there were some other soccer fans there who wanted to meet him. He even signed some impromptu autographs. Always with a smile; always happy to meet people.

The Ambassador of Soccer.

what great stories, thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
Squidly

Squidly

PostSubject: Re: RIP Bobby Rhine   RIP Bobby Rhine - Page 3 Empty9/9/2011, 1:44 am

I will still be attending. I spoke a little soon however as I was already on the way to Dallas without any dress clothes. I will be the guy wearing very pressed jeans. Figured I'd let y'all know ahead of time. Kind of embarrassing....
Back to top Go down
Parrish

Parrish

PostSubject: Re: RIP Bobby Rhine   RIP Bobby Rhine - Page 3 Empty9/9/2011, 6:41 am

I'll be shopping for tifo materials today. The sign will be simple, given the time allotted, and dignified, despite the fact I'm working on it.

I have no idea what the costs will look like, but if anyone is willing to pledge contributions, please let me know by PM or direct message through the usual channels.
Back to top Go down
scoreNOmore

scoreNOmore

PostSubject: Re: RIP Bobby Rhine   RIP Bobby Rhine - Page 3 Empty9/9/2011, 8:59 am

This day is going to be so hard. Such an overwhelming turn out last night. It was nice to see some familiar faces from Dallas soccer past and present. Bevan tried to be so strong..I don't know how she made it through... She was wearing a black FCD armband. The line to get in and pay respects to her was hundreds deep. Jake and Miller were running back and forth talking to daddy and showing some of us where to go. They were so cute and it just broke my heart. Jake told people his daddy was dead and then turned to Bevan's dad and asked when he was coming back. I asked Bevan's mom if we could help with anything and she said she would need all of us for the next 20 years making sure the boys know what a wonderful man their daddy was. To quote Bevan... "this f*cking sucks"
Back to top Go down
Jagle

Jagle

PostSubject: Re: RIP Bobby Rhine   RIP Bobby Rhine - Page 3 Empty9/9/2011, 9:32 am

Parrish wrote:
I'll be shopping for tifo materials today. The sign will be simple, given the time allotted, and dignified, despite the fact I'm working on it.

I have no idea what the costs will look like, but if anyone is willing to pledge contributions, please let me know by PM or direct message through the usual channels.

I'll contribute. But what else are we doing for the rest of the home games this year? Want to take the red and white drum and give it black stripes, and take the big drum and make it all black with a white 19? Want to re-skin the bass drum, because it's already black? What about black and white streamer? And for that matter, what about wearing black?

And what's the status of our broken power plug, because I feel like making lots of smoke?

Maybe we need to talk to the FO and coordinate what we do with them.
Back to top Go down
gwar0127

gwar0127

PostSubject: Re: RIP Bobby Rhine   RIP Bobby Rhine - Page 3 Empty9/9/2011, 10:11 am

I think we should avoid using a black color whenever possible. Although this is a sad time for us, what made Bobby special was his smile, happy demeanor, and positive attitude. The black color is too negative.

If you want to remember him with "BR", "19", "BR19", etc., do it. But I don't think we need to go with black color or black stripes for our Bobby.

We were talking after the visitation last night that seeing Bobby in stasis was the first time any of us have seen him without a smile on his face. It re-emphasized how great of a guy Bobby was to FC Dallas, FCD's supporters, the Dallas soccer community, the U.S. soccer community, and the Dallas sports community. The emotion on everyone's faces at the visitation last night showed how many people Bobby Rhine touched from all spectrums of life.
Back to top Go down
scottishbeagle

scottishbeagle

PostSubject: Re: RIP Bobby Rhine   RIP Bobby Rhine - Page 3 Empty9/9/2011, 10:28 am

not putting down ANYONES ideas, but it would seem to me the BEST tribute to Bobby is to keep doing what the Inferno does best, just do it even louder and even prouder, and support the team like never before. Surely, that's what he would want from us? Seems to me Bobby was a positive, energetic guy. Would be a great tribute to try and keep that spirit alive in all of us during this playoff push. A banner and some chants celebrating the man he was would be a great touch. Seems to me wearing black, or draining some of the positive vibe away from the inferno wouldnt be what he would want?

*disclaimer, I am new to the inferno so I hope I didnt step on any toes or insult anyone, its not meant that way atall. Just throwing out an idea, and I sincerly apologise if this post was taken in any way other than the way its intended.
Back to top Go down
Squidly

Squidly

PostSubject: Re: RIP Bobby Rhine   RIP Bobby Rhine - Page 3 Empty9/9/2011, 10:30 am

I agree. I think we should celebrate the life and spirit of Bobby. We should not be sad that he is gone, but joyous! He is in another place, making that place as wonderful as he made ours.
Back to top Go down
GraceTX

GraceTX

PostSubject: Re: RIP Bobby Rhine   RIP Bobby Rhine - Page 3 Empty9/9/2011, 12:25 pm

Gina and I will be making black armbands this weekend for the folks in our section. We're planning on painting or stenciling BR or 19 on them (haven't decided yet). If anyone has a sewing machine and would like to help make the armbands, please let me know. We'll be working on Sunday, but I'm also available to work on Saturday as well.
Back to top Go down
GraceTX

GraceTX

PostSubject: Re: RIP Bobby Rhine   RIP Bobby Rhine - Page 3 Empty9/9/2011, 12:28 pm

Did anyone make it out to the funeral today? I wanted to go, but I had a conference call this morning and knew I wasn't going to be able to get away once I arrived at the office.
Back to top Go down
Squidly

Squidly

PostSubject: Re: RIP Bobby Rhine   RIP Bobby Rhine - Page 3 Empty9/9/2011, 12:37 pm

GraceTX wrote:
Did anyone make it out to the funeral today? I wanted to go, but I had a conference call this morning and knew I wasn't going to be able to get away once I arrived at the office.

I was able to. His father Bob spoke so fondly and so beautifully about Bobby. He was incredible loved by so many people. I couldn't bring myself to watch his father speak as he had one of his grandsons with him wearing an FCD jersey. I broke down crying. I only met Bobby once but he left a very warm impression with me. I am very saddened that I will not get to experience more of Bobby Rhine.
Back to top Go down
GraceTX

GraceTX

PostSubject: Re: RIP Bobby Rhine   RIP Bobby Rhine - Page 3 Empty9/9/2011, 12:40 pm

Were there a lot of people there? There were hundreds of people last night and it took us almost two hours to pay our respects last night. I imagine there were even more today.

I wonder when FCD is going to have something for him.
Back to top Go down
Squidly

Squidly

PostSubject: Re: RIP Bobby Rhine   RIP Bobby Rhine - Page 3 Empty9/9/2011, 12:42 pm

GraceTX wrote:
Were there a lot of people there? There were hundreds of people last night and it took us almost two hours to pay our respects last night. I imagine there were even more today.

I wonder when FCD is going to have something for him.

It was a large church. I would say 500+.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RIP Bobby Rhine   RIP Bobby Rhine - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

RIP Bobby Rhine
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TIDN (The Inferno Dot Net) :: FC Dallas-
Jump to: